www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Steve Varnau <steve.var...@esgyn.com>
Subject License statement third party modified code
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2016 17:32:48 GMT
Hello,

Instructions on the website regarding source headers:
http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
Gives instructions for “Treatment of third-party works”. Point five says:

                Major modifications/additions to third-party should be
dealt with on a case-by-case basis by the PMC.

So I raised these questions in the general@incubator list.  I got no
legal-discuss list.

I've identified two cases we have in Trafodion. In both cases, I believe
we have handled the third-party copyright/license statements correctly in
the LICENSE file and in the source code.

The question is whether this code has had so much modification that we
need to also put an Apache license header into these files, or some other
sort of statement, or if it fine as is with only the third-party
copyrights?

Case 1:  One file (only couple hundred lines) that was taken from flex for
parsing was modified substantially to create new function in order to
handle parsing of Unicode text. As far as my research can tell, all the
Unicode-specific work is specific to Trafodion and was developed by HP,
which was then granted to ASF.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/blob/master/core/sql/parser/
ulexer.h

Case 2: Several dozen tests that were written for Phoenix by Salesforce.
Trafodion took a copy of those tests after they were open-sourced, but
before the code was granted to ASF.  Trafodion adapted those tests to run
against Trafodion instead of Phoenix. The tests generally do the same
things as originally intended, but were heavily modified due to what
Phoenix supported versus what Trafodion supported at that time and since.
The forked tests were maintained separately over the last couple years,
they were not merged over after the initial copy.
https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/tree/master/tests/phx/src/te
st/java/org/trafodion/phoenix/end2end

Any guidance?

Thanks,