www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: dependency on CDDL binary
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2016 04:13:39 GMT
Hi,

> Make sure the users is aware that a CDDL licensed piece is included in the Apache work.
Include the CDDL license, name of project, url to project.

INAL and anyone please correct me if I’m mistaken here. My understanding is that you would:

1, Add CDDL to LICENSE just like other permissive licenses. [3] Best to use short form and
point to the full text of licence in the package. This is required by the CDDL licence see
3.1 of [1] - "You must include a copy of this License…”

2. Add an explanation on how to obtain the CDDL licensed source code in NOTICE. See 3.1 of
[1] - "You must inform recipients of any such Covered Software in Executable form as to how
they can obtain…” This seems to be one of those required 3rd party notices to me. [2]

3. Don’t make any modifications (see 3.2 and 3.3 of the license). Given it in binary form
that’s unlikely to happen.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://opensource.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0