www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zookeeper Notice [Was: dependency on CDDL binary]
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:26:52 GMT
Hi Hen,

Our messages just crossed on the wire. We are indeed using the LICENSE file currently for
this, not the NOTICE file. We don't have that many dependencies to report (only 4), though,
so it looks like either way it wouldn't make the file unreadable. If there is no concern with
having it there, then I'm assuming we are good.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Flavio

> On 24 Feb 2016, at 09:15, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:
>

> So my feedback about ZOOKEEPER-2235 would be that:
>
> a) I like that the LICENSE file is simple (in this case, just the Apache 2.0 license);
ie) we're not mixing things that are included in the distribution with what's in the Apache
provided source.

> b) I don't like that the NOTICE file is used as a table of contents for the licenses
mixed in the distribution.

> c) I like however that there is a table of contents approach, but it (the NOTICE file)
is unreadable. It also refers to NOTICE files for projects whose licenses don't use NOTICE
files and it isn't clear what the license of the components are - half of them are well described,
and half are omitted (probably because they're Apache 2.0). I also like that this table of
contents provides links to license files within the distribution.

> Hen
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:15 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org <mailto:fpj@apache.org>>
wrote:
> Given this discussion, I'm actually interested in confirming that we've done the right
thing in Apache ZooKeeper. For one CDDL dependency we have in ZooKeeper, we have added an
entry to the NOTICE file:

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2235 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2235>
>
> and we confirmed that other projects were doing it, like Lucene:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4431 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4431>
>
> Is this right?
>
> -Flavio
>
>> On 24 Feb 2016, at 05:42, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com <mailto:aharui@adobe.com>>
wrote:

>> Henri, is it ok for Jun to put this info in the README?  I thought you were telling
them it goes in LICENSE.

>> -Alex
>>
>> From: Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org <mailto:bayard@apache.org>>
>> Date: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 5:09 PM
>> To: "legal-discuss@apache.org <mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>" <legal-discuss@apache.org
<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
>> Subject: Re: dependency on CDDL binary
>>
>> On dual licensing:
>>
>> As long as that's 'OR' rather than 'AND'.
>>
>> Which with Jersey is the case.
>>
>> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016, Jun Rao <junrao@gmail.com <mailto:junrao@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> Thanks everyone for responding. For now, we will add the CDDL license in our
README.

>>> Also, just to confirm, Jersey is licensed under both CDDL and GPL. So, we can
still have a binary dependency on Jersey as long as we label CDDL in README?

>>> Jun

isn't removed without the other most likely being removed.

or foo.jar.license/foo.jar.notice (with the notice there containing the required link).