www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Simplfying requirements for LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 05:06:15 GMT
On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:57 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
> If a binary "must" why is there no requirement for a PMC to vote on it?

There are lots of things that "must" be done yet which don't need a PMC VOTE.
For instance, if a project website redistributes bootstrap.js, its license
header "must" remain intact.

In this case, Bill was referring to upholding the binary redistribution clause
in a BSD license.  Any binary build incorporating code where such a clause
applies "must" fulfill its requirements because otherwise *nobody* can
redistribute that build legally.  Whether the PMC holds a VOTE or not is
immaterial -- a PMC VOTE to do something illegal doesn't make it legal.

> how important is it for the RM to fix L&N issues in the binary?

That depends on the the issue.  Here's four cents worth of opinion from me:

If, prior to release, you discover a problem in a binary package's LICENSE or
NOTICE that makes distribution illegal, don't upload it.  If there's a binary
with significant legal issues already in circulation, cut a new release.

On the other hand, if for example the NOTICE file for the convenience binary
is legal but has a bunch of extra junk in it, I'd argue that's not even a
policy violation (because that part of Release Policy only applies to the
official source release) -- it's just a nice thing to fix.  If it's something
the project has control over (as opposed to the result of a deliberate
decision by whoever created the convenience binary), file a bug.

Also, let the Board know about stuff like this in your Board reports.

> I'm willing to try to help improve the doc, but it is hard to get started
> without definitive answers to questions like this issue about how binaries
> should or shouldn't be involved in the release voting process.

For what it's worth, I'm working on some patches for the Licensing How-To to
incorporate ideas from this thread and from recent discussions on
general@incubator.

Marvin Humphrey