www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Simplfying requirements for LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 05:03:28 GMT
On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 5:03 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> Auditing TLP NOTICE files will reveal that many *aren't* compliant.
>
> Aren't complaint are not the same thing as are counter productive from
> IP management perspective.

Yes!  And that's why we treat the case of "extraneous material in NOTICE"
differently in the Incubator and file bugs instead of blocking release votes.

In fact, I think how the Incubator handles minor issues in release candidates
these days is good example of how to *avoid* getting "hung up" on policy.

The Incubator determined that strict adherence to release policy was harming
our podlings by forcing us through too many release candidate cycles.  In
response, we devised a plan to violate policy on a limited basis using the
test, "does this put the Foundation at risk?"  We kept the Board informed of
our plan as it evolved and the Board voiced no objections.

I imagine that any other PMC making a good case that they should be exempt
from some policy would likewise find the Board receptive.  But I don't
think a policy should remain on the books if we don't expect people to comply
with it.  Instead, expecting projects to assess their own compliance and to
have a say in policy development encourages the right kind of self-governance.

Maybe the policy forbidding extraneous material in NOTICE should change --
you're welcome to make that case.  I think it's clear from poor compliance
that current policy around LICENSE and NOTICE is predicated on unrealistic
expectations.

But it's also true that projects which have graduated recently from the
Incubator are less likely to have problems with LICENSE and NOTICE than
projects which graduated years ago, in part because of better documentation.
Since I've been guided towards further improving the documentation in this
thread and I think I can make a difference, I'll give it a try.

Marvin Humphrey