www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: License statement third party modified code
Date Sat, 20 Feb 2016 00:51:37 GMT
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Henri Yandell <bayard@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Steve Varnau <steve.varnau@esgyn.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Instructions on the website regarding source headers:
>> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>> Gives instructions for “Treatment of third-party works”. Point five says:
>>
>>                 Major modifications/additions to third-party should be
>> dealt with on a case-by-case basis by the PMC.
>>
>> So I raised these questions in the general@incubator list.  I got no
>> legal-discuss list.
>>
>> I've identified two cases we have in Trafodion. In both cases, I believe
>> we have handled the third-party copyright/license statements correctly in
>> the LICENSE file and in the source code.
>>
>> The question is whether this code has had so much modification that we
>> need to also put an Apache license header into these files, or some other
>> sort of statement, or if it fine as is with only the third-party
>> copyrights?
>>
>> Case 1:  One file (only couple hundred lines) that was taken from flex for
>> parsing was modified substantially to create new function in order to
>> handle parsing of Unicode text. As far as my research can tell, all the
>> Unicode-specific work is specific to Trafodion and was developed by HP,
>> which was then granted to ASF.
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/blob/master/core/sql/parser/
>> ulexer.h
>>
>> Case 2: Several dozen tests that were written for Phoenix by Salesforce.
>> Trafodion took a copy of those tests after they were open-sourced, but
>> before the code was granted to ASF.  Trafodion adapted those tests to run
>> against Trafodion instead of Phoenix. The tests generally do the same
>> things as originally intended, but were heavily modified due to what
>> Phoenix supported versus what Trafodion supported at that time and since.
>> The forked tests were maintained separately over the last couple years,
>> they were not merged over after the initial copy.
>> https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafodion/tree/master/tests/phx/src/te
>> st/java/org/trafodion/phoenix/end2end
>>
>> Any guidance?
>

> Both cases seem like sufficient modification to also add Apache licensing
> headers to the existing licensing information. The existing licensing
> information should not be removed (repeating the obvious for clarity :) ).

Right. And the case gets tricky when there's NO embedded pre-existing licensing
information. In that case, personally, I would feel adding an ASF
license header to
be highly confusing since looking at the file in isolation would make
it look like
all of its content was licensed to ASF under ALv2.

Thanks,
Roman.