www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Simplfying requirements for LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 16:12:47 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote on 2/8/16 9:39 AM:

>> On Feb 8, 2016, at 12:04 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Despite our best efforts, confusion about the requirements for LICENSE
>> and NOTICE continues to frustrate our volunteers. Over time, I have become
>> increasingly convinced that those requirements are simply unrealistic and
>> that the problems we face are not solvable through improved documentation.
>>

> FWIW, I disagree.

Vetoes need a reason.  Not that changing legal policy is really a group
decision, since as VP Legal you're unilaterally allowed to change legal
policy.  But since Marvin laid it out nicely, and since the issues are
complicated, we should be specific about which parts are good or bad.

In general I'm all for simplification, but not at the expense of our
reputation of being careful at attributing work and following good IP
practices.  I'm also all for ensuring that our projects actually follow
our policies, even if that means having a VP or the board jump into a
project to provide oversight showing they actually are changing their ways.

Since this is a public list, do we have comments or evidence from
outsiders who regularly review things like LICENSE/NOTICE for compliance
for their own purposes, who might like (or not) this kind of change?

Marvin - excellent proposal BTW - do you have a better way to describe
what the effect of this change would be for a third party who does want
to verify IP of an Apache project for their own use?  I.e. for some
example popular Apache project, what *specifically* would the third
party see change in our release if we made this change?

(I certainly don't want to ask you to do more work, since I see you're
also making good changes in Incubator land, but having an example of
what would actually be different would help us discuss this)

- Shane