www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: Simplfying requirements for LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2016 08:38:09 GMT
Hi,

> Despite our best efforts, confusion about the requirements for LICENSE
> and NOTICE continues to frustrate our volunteers. Over time, I have become
> increasingly convinced that those requirements are simply unrealistic and
> that the problems we face are not solvable through improved documentation.

I think a large part of the issue is not the documentation we have, but the varying compliance
among projects (sometime for historical reasons). Projects tend to look to other projects
to work out what to do and they may or may not not comply with current policy, adding to the
confusion. There are one or two few things which are not documented clearly.

> 2.  Cease the practice of copying dependency licenses verbatim into LICENSE.

I assume you mean bundled software licenses rather than dependancies here?

Thanks,
Justin