www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2016 11:58:59 GMT

> On Jan 30, 2016, at 3:32 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>

> Thankfully, it is not for me to evaluate any more.  :-).  But my read
> is that Jim wouldn't want the ASF to accept this uncertainty.

That's right.

Again, one of the criteria behind our "take" on license compatibility,
other than the strictly legal PoV, is that, from *our* stance, we want
usage, redistribution and consuming of code *from* the ASF to be
as brain-dead easy and non-controversial as possible. In other words,
we don't want people to have to question, "Hmmm, can I use this" when
considering ASF projects, and we esp. don't want them to have to get
legal involved as well to worry and consider if their usage is OK and
compliant.

As such, I really don't see how 0mq can be used licensed as it is.