www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Simplfying requirements for LICENSE and NOTICE
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2016 11:38:03 GMT

> On Feb 8, 2016, at 11:12 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> Jim Jagielski wrote on 2/8/16 9:39 AM:
>>
>>> On Feb 8, 2016, at 12:04 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> Despite our best efforts, confusion about the requirements for LICENSE
>>> and NOTICE continues to frustrate our volunteers. Over time, I have become
>>> increasingly convinced that those requirements are simply unrealistic and
>>> that the problems we face are not solvable through improved documentation.
>>>

>> FWIW, I disagree.
>
> Vetoes need a reason.  Not that changing legal policy is really a group
> decision, since as VP Legal you're unilaterally allowed to change legal
> policy.  But since Marvin laid it out nicely, and since the issues are
> complicated, we should be specific about which parts are good or bad.

Martin states, quite w/o validation that I can find, that the confusion
which may or may not exist are "not solvable through improved documentation".
He then proposes another process, defined by documentation.

LICENSE and NOTICE are there for a reason. There is now a common
precedent, esp related to ASF projects, what people should look
for in LICENSE and NOTICE. We specifically call out important
bits to be there, since these are the bits we are required to
convey as well as the bits that people who use/consume/leverage
our code look for.

I am all for simplification; I am all for better documentation;
I am not for a substantial change to where we document and
place these important bits, and have done so for many many years,
based on an unproven assumption that better documentation won't
"fix" the "problem"