www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: ZeroMQ MPL Licensing plans?
Date Sat, 30 Jan 2016 19:52:31 GMT
At the end of COPYING.LESSER there is this:
	Note: this exception relieves you of any obligations under sections 4 and 5 of this license,
and section 6 of the GNU General Public License.
What isn’t clear to me is what happens to section 2 of the LGPL.  The fact that it clearly
states that you can “copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice”
means to me that whatever distribution requirements there might be under section 2 of the
LGPL don’t apply.
The way I read what is left of this license after the exclusion is that it is no worse than
the Eclipse license.
Ralph

> On Jan 30, 2016, at 10:48 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> I don't think there is anything about relicensing under the ZeroMQ [L]GPL licenses.
(I don't see any MPL licenses on those GitHub pages and the actual steps to move to MPL are
dependent on some matters that may not be under anyone's control).

> In my reading, ZeroMQ allows any containing application that is simply depending on the
library to be under any license.  That is also pretty clear in the addendum to the COPYING.LESSER
file and in the README.md  License section.

> Perhaps a better question is whether that provision on the ZeroMQ code is sufficient
for it to qualify as a special Category B exception already.