www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Code translation from C to Java
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 12:43:01 GMT
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 6:41 AM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi !
>
> it's a generic question about porting some code from a language to
> another (let's say from C to Java, but it might be from language X to Y,
> it does not matter).
>
> What if a project decide to port a piece of Open Source code to another
> language, assuming that the original code is under a AL.2.0 license or a
> compatible lience (MIT, etc...) ? What would be the rules to be applied
> regarding attribution, etc? What about the copyright ?
>
> I know it's quite a vague question, I may have some more element to
> provide if needed.

Generally, assume that the translated code is a derivative work, and
that you need to follow the licensing requirements for a derivative
work according to the license under which the original work is made
available.

See VI.D.2 in http://digital-law-online.info/lpdi1.0/treatise27.html,
which gives the typical legal answer of "There is no reason to believe
that this would not be a copyright infringement".

> Many thanks !

- Sam Ruby