www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Code translation from C to Java
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 15:44:41 GMT
On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 5:55 AM, Emmanuel L├ęcharny <elecharny@gmail.com> wrote:

> The question is more about the fact that the 'translation' is applied on
> some already Open Sourced code under a nice licence (MIT or similar). I
> guess this would be acceptable assuming some correct attribution is
> done, like :
>
> /** That code has been translated to Java from the Project Meh xyz.c file */
> /** End of translation */

So long as the license allows such translation (which shouldn't be a
problem with common open source licenses), all copyright notices are
preserved, and all the conditions of the license are fulfilled, then
yes, it ought to be possible.

For the MIT license and similar, fulfilling the conditions would
require copying the embedded license comment from the source file to
the target translation file. From your example code, I'm guessing that
you might be contemplating putting MIT code into an ALv2 file, which
can get a bit untidy -- but that's a separate issue from whether
translation is allowed.

Marvin Humphrey