www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: OK to distribute some GPL (with special exclusion) licensed build tools?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:24:27 GMT
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 12:13 AM, Justin Mclean <justinmclean@me.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Assuming that's the case, thoughts inline.
>
> From what I can see it's autoconf, automake and M4. All are related projects but not
sure if they are considered under the same umbrella.

> Files include compile, config.guess, config.sub, depcomp, install-sh, libel.m4, ltmail.sh,
ltoptions.m4, ltsugar.m4, ltveriosn.m4,
> lt-obsolete.m4, missing if that helps. Most a GPL with the exception of install-sh which
is MIT and the .m4 files which have:

> # This file is free software; the Free Software Foundation gives
> # unlimited permission to copy and/or distribute it, with or without
> # modifications, as long as this notice is preserved.

Right, but what about those .m4 macro files that come from the Autoconf Archive?

The statement inside of there release tarballs. E.g.:
    http://mirror.keystealth.org/gnu/autoconf-archive/
makes me worried:
    COPYING
    COPYING.EXCEPTION