www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: OK to distribute some GPL (with special exclusion) licensed build tools?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 04:37:28 GMT
On Sun, Jan 10, 2016 at 8:18 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While reviewing an Singa (incubating) release. I notice it had a couple of GPL (with
special exclusion)
> in the source made by autoconf/automake. It seems this has been discussed before [1][2][3]
and it’s
> OK to distribute these files in Apache releases.
>
> However some of our documentation may be out of step with that - does it need to change?
> - This states that special exceptions to the GPL are not allowed [2]. Except for this
special exception which is!
> - Should the section under the build tools question mention GPL with this special exception
as OK? [4]

> For a release contain files in this manner:
> - Do we need to mention this in LICENSE?
> - Do we need to distribute GPL text in COPYING as indicated in the GPL with exception
header text?

> JFYI The text of the exclusion is:
> # As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
> # distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
> # configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
> # the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

And to pile on top of Justin's question, I'd like to ask whether it
would be permissible
for HAWQ to ship the following folder:
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-hawq/tree/master/config

To make this question even more interesting: this folder has been lifter
pretty much verbatim from PostgreSQL release tarball. I guess it means that
PostgreSQL community feels it is OK to have it in an otherwise PostgreSQL
licensed release. A useful datapoint for us to consider, perhaps.

Thanks,
Roman.