www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject OK to distribute some GPL (with special exclusion) licensed build tools?
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2016 04:18:22 GMT
Hi,

While reviewing an Singa (incubating) release. I notice it had a couple of GPL (with special
exclusion) in the source made by autoconf/automake. It seems this has been discussed before
[1][2][3] and it’s OK to distribute these files in Apache releases.

However some of our documentation may be out of step with that - does it need to change?
- This states that special exceptions to the GPL are not allowed [2]. Except for this special
exception which is!
- Should the section under the build tools question mention GPL with this special exception
as OK? [4]

For a release contain files in this manner:
- Do we need to mention this in LICENSE?
- Do we need to distribute GPL text in COPYING as indicated in the GPL with exception header
text?

JFYI The text of the exclusion is:
# As a special exception to the GNU General Public License, if you
# distribute this file as part of a program that contains a
# configuration script generated by Autoconf, you may include it under
# the same distribution terms that you use for the rest of that program.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://markmail.org/thread/trsh3f3ucycxlgfm
2. http://markmail.org/thread/wtbf7tb2ooysk3ok