www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: SGA Alterations
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:33:45 GMT

> On Dec 15, 2015, at 8:21 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (3980) <chris.a.mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov>
wrote:
> +1 speaking directly is fine.
>
> Todd, I would have to concur policy wise with statements made by
> Jim and Marvin so far. Doug should be able to comment on this too
> being at Cloudera and should know that we haven’t changed our SGA
> in the past for specific instances like this and there doesn’t
> seem to warrant doing so in Kudu’s case TBH looking at this.
>
> Sure, and in fact I think Cloudera probably even signed a few of the SGAs as is in the
past. But, as noted elsewhere in the thread, the goal isn't to have a special SGA only for
Kudu, but rather to make some improvements that would apply for all future SGAs as well. Assuming,
of course, that the ASF's counsel agrees with ours that these are in fact _improvements_.
Hard for me to say, as IANAL :)

> So, should I await an introduction to some attorney representing the ASF? What's the
next step to close this out in either direction?

There are 2 issues happening concurrently: The first seems to be
that we are awaiting a SGA for Kudu; the 2nd seems to be a
general desire from one of Cloudera's counsel to improve the
SGA.

These need to be unbound.

Even assuming that our legal counsel agrees with these improvements,
it is not a fait accompli that the ASF will change our SGA; normally
when we start "fixing" our agreements we usually create new ones to
not only fold in those improvements but also other new things
as well. What I am saying is that even if after we arrange a
chat between Cloudera and our pro bono counsel, I would not "hold
my breath" waiting for a revised SGA.