www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Artemis: Using LGPL licensed libraries at runtime
Date Thu, 24 Dec 2015 14:20:17 GMT

> On Dec 24, 2015, at 7:39 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>
> There is no issue w/ the below.

So Apache projects can use LGPL/category X libraries by default without even letting the user
know they are using the LGPL/category X libraries (not distributed, so nothing needs to go
in LICENSE/NOTICE) and without the user having to even “opt in” to using the LGPL/category
X functionality?   It would just use it automatically with no knowledge of that from the user.
   (providing things functionally works "well enough” if it’s not there)

Can text like the above be added to http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#optional ?

In this case, the user may not have to do anything to install the library.   It may already
be installed on the system.  Thus the part in that answer about "provide the user with instructions
on how to obtain and install the non-included work” applies, but not always.

Dan

>> On Dec 24, 2015, at 6:57 AM, Martyn Taylor <mtaylor@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a question surrounding the use of LGPL licensed libraries at runtime for Apache
ActiveMQ Artemis.

>> ActiveMQ Artemis has two methods of persisting messages.  The first method (NIO)
uses standard java libraries to enable persistence, the second method (ASYNCIO), interacts
directly with the linux kernel and gives far superior performance.  ActiveMQ Artemis does
not force any particular option on users, however, the default configuration (as shipped in
the ActiveMQ Artemis binary), will, at runtime, attempt to use the ASYNCIO method, (providing
there is an appropriate OS and required system libraries are installed), otherwise ActiveMQ
Artemis will default to using the pure java solution, NIO.  In other words, it attempts to
use the most optimal method available on the system and will default to a less optimal should
the necessary libraries not be available.

>> In order for ASYNCIO to work.  A linux system library must be installed, called "LibAIO".
 LibAIO is licensed under LGPL.

>> Some members of the ActiveMQ community are concerned that by shipping a default a
configuration that makes use of an LGPL licensed library, LibAIO (if it is installed), at
runtime, we are in breach of the Apache legal policy.  It has been suggested that ActiveMQ
Artemis, should not use ASYNCIO as default and users should explicitly enable it should they
require it.  However, other members of the community would prefer to ship the most optimal
out of the box configuration, i.e. always prefer to use the most optimal solution.

>> To summarise:
>>
>> * LibAIO is LGPL licensed
>> * By default ActiveMQ Artemis will make use of LibAIO at runtime, *if it is available*.

>> * If it is not available ActiveMQ Artemis will default to using a  (less optimal)
pure java solution.
>> * The configuration shipped by default, will attempt use LibAIO if it is installed
and available on the system.
>> * ActiveMQ Artemis *does not distribute* any LGPL licensed code or binary.
>>
>> Could you please help us understand, if there are any legal concerns about the current
default behaviour of ActiveMQ Artemis regarding the use of this LGPL licensed library. If
so, could you please offer us advice as to what the correct behaviour is.

>> Kind regards and happy holidays,
>>
>> Martyn

Daniel Kulp