www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 13:37:20 GMT
On 02.12.2015, at 13:03, Jim Jagielski <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:

> Yeppers... Both the SGA and the ALv2 provide to us the same
> rights: the Copyright grant and the patent grant. So one doesn't
> give us more or "better" rights than the other. It is just that
> that ALv2 "forces" us to comply by its conditions, which is fine
> since we do that anyway.

Or saying it the other way around, the SGA doesn't force us to
maintain copyright notices or any other kinds of attributions.

To my understanding, that gives us freedom to remove such notices
after the donation, although we prefer it being done either before
or by one of the donators afterwards.

The ALv2, however, explicitly states that such notices must be preserved.

I have to admit, I hadn't remembered that difference until I looked up the
SGA and ALv2 again after Sam's post.

So with respect to these copyright notices, we typically don't comply by the
ALv2 conditions for donations, but by the SGA conditions, right?

-- Richard