www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Copyright and license questions
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 17:53:48 GMT
Hi Roberta,

Yes, if you look at other projects, unfortunately you will see variances.

So, technically, code with this header could not have been donated to the ASF unless an authorized
representative from SalesForce signed the software grant or whoever did sign the Software
Grant also has a written agreement from SalesForce that this code could be donated on its
behalf.   Each file (actually, each line) is either donated or third-party.

And thus, as you state in the next sentence, it is a third-party work.  I believe the header
text is the MIT license and so you have handled it correctly.  No change to NOTICE is required.
 But having a pointer instead of the full header text is my preference and the preference
cited in the how-to.

HTH,
-Alex

From: Roberta Marton <roberta.marton@esgyn.com<mailto:roberta.marton@esgyn.com>>
Date: Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 9:24 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>" <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: RE: Copyright and license questions

Thanks Alex for your advice on the Artistic License issue.
We decided to just remove the dependency which worked out for the best because we did some
code cleanup in the process.

However, I am still having difficulty figuring out what goes in the LICENSE file and what
goes in the NOTICE.  I have read the Apache guidelines several times but am still unclear.
 Let’s take a simple example.

The following copyright notice exists in code donated to Apache.  It is assume to be third
party work.
We made changes to the third party code.

So, what gets added to LICENSE and what gets added to NOTICE?  I have looked at many other
projects and they all to do it differently.

/*******************************************************************************
* Copyright (c) 2013, Salesforce.com, Inc.
* All rights reserved.
*
* modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
*
 *     Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
*     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
*     Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
*     this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
*     and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
*     Neither the name of Salesforce.com nor the names of its contributors may
 *     be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without
 *     specific prior written permission.
*
 * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND
* ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
* DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE
 * FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
 * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
 * SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
 * CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
 * OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE
 * OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

What I have done is add the above text to the LICENSE file with a note that we made changes.
 I did not change the NOTICE file.

   Regards,
   Roberta