www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2015 08:04:14 GMT
Thanks for all of the discussion so far.  I am going to cherry-pick the
things I liked out of all of the points raised in this thread and propose
this draft (still avoiding the word "fork").  I am going to open a
discussion on the Flex dev@ list about code adoption so I won't be sending
out this draft until next week at the earliest.  And when we do send it
out, we will wait 30 days before considering a recipient as a
non-responder.

----- Draft 3 -------

Subject:  Apache Flex Adopting XXX

[Friendly intro]

A major contributor of XXX has indicated a desire to have the Apache
Software Foundation's Apache Flex project be the new home of future
development of the XXX code.  Normally, this is called a "donation" and
requires a bunch of legal paperwork, but because this code base is already
licensed under Apache License 2.0, the Apache Flex project can "adopt"
this code base with out all that paperwork.  We are sending this email out
to all known contributors to inform you and to ensure there are no
conflicts or concerns.

Please reply to this email to affirm that:

1) You do not have conflicts or concerns with Apache Flex adopting XXX.
2) The code you wrote is licensed under Apache License 2.0
3) You understand that under the Apache License 2.0, you retain the
copyright of the code you wrote.  You are only granting  a license to not
only the Apache Software Foundation (the ASF), but to anyone else as well.
4) You understand that if we cannot get enough affirmative emails from
enough contributors to this code base, the "adoption" may be abandoned.
5) You understand that if this "adoption" is completed, future downloads
should come from, and changes applied to, the code base in an
ASF-controlled code management and distribution system, and discussion
about the code base should happen on Apache Flex mailing lists.
6) You understand that if you are not already an Apache Flex Committer and
wish to have continued involvement in changes to this code base, we can
discuss separately the steps to become a Committer.  We would love to have
you come be part of Apache Flex if you are interested in making further
contributions.

Thanks,
Alex Harui, for the
Apache Flex PMC.