www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: ActiveMQ Artemis: Using LGPL licensed libraries at runtime
Date Fri, 25 Dec 2015 01:05:30 GMT
On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 7:34 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> With my Director hat on, I'd say "no way, no how" to hosting any non-ALv2
> components.

I'd generally agree for Category X components.  Once it is possible
for others to obtain the code from us, we are effectively distributing
the code.  Even so, we have granted narrow exceptions[1].

I'd be less concerned about Category A components.

> And component A that *requires* (L)GPL component B means that downstreams
> users of A need to be concerned about the LGPL. So again: nope.

The rules aren't that clear cut.

We have optional components that require Windows[2], and entire
projects that have a hard requirement on Java[3], and various other
types of dependencies on code under other non-compatible licenses.  It
took me a while to wrap my head around it, and the following was the
result: http://www.apache.org/legal/ramblings.html

Daniel is correct that the rules as posted are incomplete.  And they
will remain such.  The rules only cover the "always safe" or "never
permitted" cases.  Everything else requires a discussion, and
ultimately a determination approved by the Legal Affairs committee.
Such determinations are often narrow in scope.

> Merry Xmas!

Happy Festivus!

> -g

[1] example: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-117