www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SGA Alterations
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2015 18:49:31 GMT
On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 11:09 PM, Todd Lipcon <todd@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Our counsel responded to this that the changes he is suggesting are
>> general improvements that should apply to all such agreements, not
>> something particular to these contributions. The current agreement lacks
>> some precision that he is hoping to address -- the fact that it's been good
>> enough for others in the past isn't necessarily a good reason not to
>> improve it for the future. Perhaps I can connect him directly with someone
>> from DLAP?
>>
> We have multiple counsel. It'll get routed appropriately.

Does this mean that the suggested amendments are currently being routed to
the appropriate legal counsel?

> Regarding the content of the changes, I believe the "now" addition to the
> language about patent rights may be an issue. I kinda recall past
> discussion around language tense, w.r.t patents rights. (in ALv2, I think)
>
> I think the "as of Effective Date" may be a breaker. If somebody discovers
> a problem 3 years from now, we'd prefer to be advised. ... now, maybe that
> is unrealistic. Just pointing out the big change made in that paragraph.

Regarding your and Richard's concerns, I understand where you're coming
from. But, it would probably be good to have a trained lawyer take a look
at the amendments. Ours seemed to think that they were just "tightening the
existing language" which he found to be sloppy, rather than any material
changes.

I'll try to push back again using your concerns, but my guess is that he'd
like to speak directly with a lawyer about the agreement.

Todd