www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 16:56:22 GMT
Moving to legal-discuss (from general@incubator).

This thread starts here [1] as a fork from [2].  One comment to a recent
response from Ted is below, but the basic re-cap:

I want to verify whether:
1) a code base that is under AL2.0 can be donated to the ASF without an
SGA.
2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it in
the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
3) if not all past contributors to that code base respond to give their
consent in email, can the ASF still accept this code base.

On 11/30/15, 6:54 AM, "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>
>> >b) are you just re-inventing the ICLA?
>>
>> In my mind, the ICLA represents your formal pledge to be part of an ASF
>> community and continue to contribute.  It has to be recorded by the
>> secretary and reads like legal-ese   I am trying for a hopefully quicker
>> and easier informal adoption. I really don't expect the past
>>contributors
>> to join this new family (i.e. work on this code at the ASF).  The ones
>>who
>> want to truly join will have to sign an ICLA and be voted in as a
>> committer.
>

>Yes, it does read like legalese, but no it doesn't bind anybody to be part
>of the ASF or to continue to contribute.

I agree it doesn't bind you in that way, but IMO, the ICLA assumes there
will be future work which is one of the reasons it is long and legal.
This makes sense in most cases because code donations usually come in with
committers, but the essence of this thread is whether there is a less
formal shortcut if someone has code under AL and they want us to take over
it and don't have plans themselves to continue to work on it.  If they
want to keep working on it, we'll ask for an ICLA.

Thanks,
-Alex

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201511.mbox/%3cD