www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:58:15 GMT
On 30 November 2015 at 17:49, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 11/30/15, 9:29 AM, "Jim Jagielski" <jim@jaguNET.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 2) if the authors of that code base have no intention of working on it
>>>in
>>> the future, do we require an ICLA from them or can they give consent in
>>> email, essentially like other folks do for patches?
>>
>>Do you mean for the existing code or for future patches? The
>>question is not quite clear.
>
> Existing code.
>
>>My suggested course of action is to send an email to the
>>current project's development and user lists (maybe create
>>some Issue or Bugz entry, etc...) with the notice that a PMC
>>at the ASF wishes to fork the project and maintain and develop
>>it and to ask for comments. If there is dissent in that community
>>about this course of action, I would encourage you asking both
>>Legal and the PMC "what to do now".
>
> I forgot to mention in my re-cap that there really isn't a community
> associated with these code bases anymore.  So to me, asking folks who've
> made contributions in the past is the same as asking the community.  I
> will ask what to do if there is dissent, but my main question here is, if
> I send an email to 12 past contributors and only 4 respond after a week of
> waiting (which covers 90% of the code), can we take 100% of the code as
> long as we feel that if we do get any objections later we can kick out
> those changes with out ruining that code base?

It seems to me that waiting just a week is insufficient here.
Some people go on holidays and don't have e-mail access.
[Indeed the longer the holiday perhaps the less likely they will have
e-mail access.]

I think it would be polite to wait quite a bit longer - e.g. 4+ weeks
- before assuming that you won't get a response.