www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Collecting Telemetry data for Apache Cordova project
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 10:48:27 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 5:24 AM, Parashuram N <panarasi@microsoft.com> wrote:
> ...I wanted to
> understand if there are any Apache policies around telemetry. I am not aware
> of other projects that collect telemetry, and wanted some guidance on how to
> approach the problem. ...

>From my non-lawyer point of view, what's important is to make sure
users are informed of what's happening, and can opt out of it.

Some of our projects have privacy statements like
http://jackrabbit.apache.org/jcr/privacy-policy.html (related to
website statistics but that's somewhat similar) which might help draft
your public messages around this.

My recommendation is that you document what you're doing in a jira
ticket or similar, so that it can be reviewed and maybe used as an
example by other projects.

-Bertrand