www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Parashuram <n.parashu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Collecting Telemetry data for Apache Cordova project
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2015 22:08:22 GMT
David,

Would you happen to have links to discussions of threads in the Flex or
CloudStack projects where this is discussed ?

I think we should atleast have a privacy policy, and let users opt out of
collecting data. The main purpose of this data is to understand the places
where users experience most errors, or the commands that are most unused in
our Cordova tooling. Cordova has a NodeJS based command line interface and
this is where the data would be collected. We have not yet decided on where
this data is stored or who controls it.

Before we looked into those questions, I first wanted to check if it was
even ok for us to collect this information. Now that I understand that
Apache does not have policies against collecting data, I think that it
would make sense for Cordova committers to get back and answer the
questions like
- where the data lives - I am guessing this would be some Apache server
- who can access this data - I think at the minimum, the apache committers
and PMC would be able to access the data. We should discuss this in the
community and see if it makes sense to let everyone be able to read this
data, since this is aggregated and anonymous anyway.
- Who controls the data - this should be the committers and the PMC, but
will also be discussed in the community.

Parashuram
http://nparashuram.com