www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about project want to come out from incubator
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 19:45:47 GMT
On 23/11/2015 19:32, Henry Saputra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have question from potential incubator project. If somehow a project
> contributed by a company could not survive the incubator process, can
> the sponsoring company take back the copyright and grant given to
> Apache?

The copyright is never transferred to Apache. It remains with the
original copyright holders.

The terms of the SGA are clear. The key word is "irrevocable".

The code covered by the SGA and donated to the ASF would remain AL2
licensed.

Nothing would stop the company continuing to develop their product under
any license they choose including closed source. The SGA would have no
impact on this.

Mark