www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What to do after fixing licensing mistakes?
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 17:55:58 GMT
On 23/11/2015 17:48, Dave Brondsema wrote:
> In the Allura code, we have discovered a few files that had the Apache License
> header applied incorrectly.  There are a few JS, CSS and Makefiles that actually
> are 3rd-party BSD or MIT licensed.  There is one JS file that is of unknown
> provenance (I did find a copy of the file in a GPL google code project).  That
> file is not used any more.
>
> Of course we will fix the known files headers & LICENSE entries, and remove the
> unknown file.
>
> What besides that needs to be done?

Once you discover such issues they SHOULD be fixed ASAP and MUST be
fixed before the next release. Sounds like the project is doing the
right thing.

> Do we need to do anything about prior
> releases that had these files?

No. Just get the new, fixed release out. It would be better to do this
sooner rather than later but it doesn't sound as if the project needs to
drop everything and get this release out yesterday. Just don't leave it
months and months.

Mark