www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: About filed patent
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 19:49:38 GMT
On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

>> On Oct 15, 2015, at 1:04 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:

>>> I suggest that this should be the README file instead;
>>
>> +1 to avoid NOTICE.  The patent grant of the ALv2 covers this
>> particular patent situation, just as it does for other patents which
>> might not be mentioned, so providing any information at all is
>> optional.  NOTICE is reserved for legally required notices by the
>> ALv2, which imposes obligations on downstream to propagate its
>> contents -- and thus we strive to keep the NOTICE file small to reduce
>> the costs to downstream consumers.
>
> Please read 4d regarding NOTICE.

I've read 4d, and read a large number of posts by Roy on this topic.
The current web site instructions are consistent with my understanding
and Marvin's input above.  And will note that it is precisely because
of the text in 4d (specifically "any Derivative Works that You
distribute must") that we strive to keep the NOTICE file small, and
for the reason Marvin stated (to reduce the costs to downstream
consumers).

Of course, you are welcome to take Legal Affairs in a different
direction; I only ask that if you do so that the web site be updated
to reflect the new direction.

- Sam Ruby