www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:16:35 GMT
Hi Marvin,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:31 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 1:37 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
> <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
>>... "Before casting +1 binding votes, individuals are REQUIRED...to
>> compile as provided, and test the result on their own platform."...

> That passage has been flagged before, but it it is faithful to the current
> policy...
> So, can you hold that thought for a couple weeks?..

Sure, I see the idea - work in incremental steps, makes perfect sense.

>> ...And one suggestion: splitting the FAQ to a separate page would help
>> make the main part stronger and more "sacred" IMO...

> ...To limit the scope of this initiative,
> the language of that section remains unchanged -- but I plan to follow up with
> a series of incremental patches via LEGAL Jiras later....

Ok, makes absolute sense as well.

> ...Additionally, regarding whether the Policy will be seen as "sacred" enough...
> that is also something I'm concerned about -- and not just for Release Policy,
> but for all the policies I'm working towards codifying....

Yes, that's where I think having a clear distinction between "sacred"
and informational pages is useful. Pages like
http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html for example almost never
change, and that's good - it shows how serious changes to such a page
are.

But you are totally right that working in small steps is best...sorry
that I jumped in without much prior context, let's get this step done
first and look at more improvements later.

-Bertrand