www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Sat, 10 Oct 2015 04:10:43 GMT
On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:11 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

>> On Sep 14, 2015, at 5:08 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's what's proposed (the only change is moving from draft2 to draft3).
>>>
>>> 1. V.P. of Legal Affairs shall assume responsibility for curation of
>>>    Apache Release Policy.
>>> 2. Publish <https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/blob/draft3/release.md>
>>>    at <http://apache.org/legal/release>.
>>> 3. Replace the current Release Policy page at <http://apache.org/dev/release>
>>>    with a redirect to <http://apache.org/legal/release>.
>>>
>>> Jim, can you please consider the proposal?
>>
>> Hello... Just sending a gentle reminder that this proposal is pending.
>>

> Sorry... On the top of my TODO :)

Hello again... Just sending another gentle reminder that this proposal remains
pending.

I would also like to revisit one of the rationales behind the proposal: The
Incubator is negatively impacted by the ragged present state of Apache's
policy documentation.

It is not the role of the Incubator to draft Foundation-wide policy, but
nevertheless the lack of a closed set of concise policy documents to teach
from reduces both the efficiency and effectiveness of Incubator onboarding.

Right now on other Apache mailing lists, various Incubator rule changes and
reorganizations are being proposed.  Perhaps those proposals will move
forward, perhaps not.

Meanwhile, I hope to continue making progress "outside the box" of the
Incubator itself, by achieving ratification of the codified Release Policy --
and adding it alongside the previously ratified Release Distribution Policy[1]
to a finite, bounded collection of clear, concise, curated policy documents.

Jim, your consideration of this proposal would be very much appreciated.

Marvin Humphrey

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution