www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: About filed patent
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 17:04:25 GMT
On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 2:56 PM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 1:08 PM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
>> The documentation of such execution and a URL to it should
>> be part of the formal NOTICE
>
> I suggest that this should be the README file instead;

+1 to avoid NOTICE.  The patent grant of the ALv2 covers this
particular patent situation, just as it does for other patents which
might not be mentioned, so providing any information at all is
optional.  NOTICE is reserved for legally required notices by the
ALv2, which imposes obligations on downstream to propagate its
contents -- and thus we strive to keep the NOTICE file small to reduce
the costs to downstream consumers.

Marvin Humphrey