www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Tue, 13 Oct 2015 01:12:34 GMT
On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:
> Will you be providing an HTML version?

Here is a rendered version:

  http://www.apache.org/dev/release-draft.html

Asking for HTML was a good idea.  I see a problem with the how the Release FAQ
is structured in the table of contents: *all* of the bullets from the old
release policy should go under "Release FAQ", leaving only three top-level
nodes: "Contents", "Release Policy", and "Release FAQ".

  * Contents
  * Release Policy
    - Definition of "release"
    - Release approval
  * Release FAQ
      + Why Do We Need a Foundation-Wide Policy?
      + What Is A Release?
      + How Do The Types Of Apache Software Distribution Differ?
    - Release Management Questions
      + Where do releases go?
    - Release Distribution and Mirroring Questions

(At present bullets such as "Release Management Questions" are top-level
nodes, inappropriately suggesting parity with "Release Policy" and "Release
FAQ".)

I'm disinclined to iterate the proposal just for that because in my view
what's crucial is the text of the Release Policy section.  But this does
suggest that if approved, it would make sense to move the document into place
and polish it a bit before installing the redirect at /dev/releases and making
it "live".

Marvin Humphrey