www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Inquiry Regarding Apache Licensing
Date Wed, 14 Oct 2015 13:57:37 GMT
On 14/10/2015 14:19, Loveless, Brittny wrote:
> Good morning,
>

> Can you confirm whether redlines to the apache agreement are reviewed
> and approved by Apache Legal, or is this more of a “click-wrap” type
> agreement whereby Apache does not agree to make any requested changes?

Please note I am not empowered to speak on behalf of the ASF and this
should in no way be considered an official reply.

As you can see from [1] there have been exactly 3 versions of the Apache
license with the current version (2.0) in force since 2004. Changing
that license is not something we would consider lightly.

We do occasionally receive requests to modify our license. Most, if not
all, of those requests are based on misunderstanding of the terms of the
license. To my knowledge, every single one of those requests has been
declined. That said, the license is not set in stone for ever. If
something we view as a genuine problem is identified then we would
consider modifying the license.

If you have specific concerns regarding the current license text please
do feel free to let us know what they are.

Kind regards,

Mark

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/