www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat GmbH and the Tomcat trademark
Date Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:29:26 GMT
Zak Greant wrote on 10/9/15 10:05 AM:
> Greetings All,
>
> Has anyone encountered Tomcat GmbH asserting that:
>
>> "Tomcat" is NOT a trade mark of "Apache".
>> (Tomcat) is a registered Trademark of Tomcat GmbH

No, I'm not personally aware of that.  Do you have any URLs to specific
Apache mailing lists where that's been mentioned publicly?

Trademark law varies by country, so the answer is complex.  However
TOMCAT *is* a common law trademark of the Apache Software Foundation for
the software produced by our Apache Tomcat project.  The ASF has
provided TOMCAT software to the public on the internet since 1999, so we
have a pretty clear claim to the name for our java servlet engine software.

> I skimmed the list archives and JIRA, but didn't see relevant mentions.
>
> A quick search turns up these trademark registrations, which - at a
> glance - don't seem exactly relevant. However, the descriptions are in
> German (and IANAL):
>
> * https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail?st13=DE500000001181547
> * https://www.tmdn.org/tmview/get-detail?st13=EM500000005562863

A rough translation of one would be:

Computers and parts; Computer programs (included in class 9);
Development and creation of computer programs; technical consultancy and
planning in the design of data processing systems

- Shane