www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Parashuram N <panar...@microsoft.com>
Subject Collecting Telemetry data for Apache Cordova project
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2015 04:24:19 GMT
Hi,

The Apache Cordova project currently has a command line interface that our users use to create
and developer multi-platform mobile applications. The Apache Cordova community has been working
on many features to make the user experience better. Currently however, we have no way of
knowing which features we implement are used by users and which are not. We also do not have
good data about the typical commands that fail or the situations under which they fail.

To make better informed decisions, one proposal that the community was discussing was about
adding some sort of telemetry that reports back data. This data would totally anonymous, aggregated
and only used for data driven decision making when deciding on implementing new features.
I wanted to understand if there are any Apache policies around telemetry. I am not aware of
other projects that collect telemetry, and wanted some guidance on how to approach the problem.

It would be great if you could point us to resources, or help us understand best practices
on collecting telemetry data for an Apache project.