www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: About filed patent
Date Thu, 15 Oct 2015 20:04:41 GMT
Marvin stated:

"NOTICE is reserved for legally required notices by the
ALv2, which imposes obligations on downstream to propagate its
contents"

That is not true. "The contents of the NOTICE file are for informational purposes only"

We treat NOTICE differently specifically to ensure that NOTICE is
always brought along. From what I understood, the intent in
this original thread was to ensure that such information was
preserved, making NOTICE a viable location for such information.

To claim that "NOTICE is reserved for legally required notices by the
ALv2" ignores what the ALv2 actually *says* about what it expects
NOTICE to be used for.

As I said, I am fine with it being in README, but I am not fine
with misinformation about what NOTICE is and is not. Hence my
recommendation to Marvin to read 4d.