www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: IP clearance for Apache Serf
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:30:30 GMT
My understanding is that for a project from (say) GitHub with 20 committers, those committers
may not have already granted the ASF a license to the lines of code the wrote so a Software
Grant is required from the code owners.  (A GitHub project could have its own custom contributors
agreement where those committers give up ownership or automatically grant the right to re-license
to a smaller group of people).

In this case, if every line of code has already been licensed to the ASF because it was done
under an ASF ICLA, then I’d say there is nothing to do.

-Alex

From: Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com<mailto:gstein@gmail.com>>
Date: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM
To: "legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>" <legal-discuss@apache.org<mailto:legal-discuss@apache.org>>
Subject: IP clearance for Apache Serf

Hey all,

I'm tasked with figuring out the appropriate level of handling for the code that we migrated
to Apache Serf. The amount of "work" is somewhere between "nothing" and maybe a "short form"
or Software Grant.

Background:

* serf started as an Apache project, with myself and Justin Erankrantz working on it
* the ASF likes 3 or more people, so we moved it "out" of the ASF in 2003
* ALL committers to the outside project were required to file an ICLA with the ASF, if they
didn't already have one
* the code has now returned to the ASF

The way I see it, because every committer had an ICLA, then it seems reasonable to assume
the ASF has what it needs and nothing more needs to be done. But then again, the commit was
not into the ASF's code repository.

Maybe we need a software grant?

When a project moves from (say) GitHub, with 20 committers, who files what papers?

Thanks,
-g