www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: NOTICE file
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 15:36:02 GMT
On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 8:18 AM, Flavio Junqueira <fpj@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a couple of questions about the NOTICE file. In this page:
>
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html
>
> it says that it should include the following text, suitably modified to
> reflect the product name and year(s) of distribution of the current and
> past versions of the product:
>
> Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation
>
> As I understand it, it means that every year, if there is a release, the
> year part needs to be modified to add the new year, e.g., 2010-2015 if
> there is a release in 2015. How much of a problem is it if a release comes
> out without that year field updated?

Unnecessary to have a span of years, and now considered improper form.  The
current year (when this specific package is published) is the only year
necessary.  The copyrights on individual bits probably go back many years
before the first ASF release, but what is important here is the copyright
of the collective work that is your current release (here and now).

> Also, I noticed that Hadoop omits that header altogether and has only:
>
> This product includes software developed by The Apache Software
> Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

This is incorrect, where is the Copyright claim?