www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2015 19:14:41 GMT
On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 11:28 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 August 2015 at 03:08, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:

>>> The descriptio
> n of developers is different in the two patches:
>>>
>>> individuals actively participating in development or following the dev list.
>>>
>>> individuals actively engaged in or following development
>>>
>>> It would be good to align these.
>>>
>>> I prefer the former.
>>>
>>> I hope both cover the case of a bug reporter who does a bit more than
>>> "file and forget".
>>
>> OK, we'll go with your preference here.
>>
>> I've integrated the tweak into a v3 branch.
>>
>>   https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/commits/unreleased_dist_v3
>>   https://gist.github.com/rectang/bf9e4a8c84a61cbd8c84 (interdiff)
>>
>> The branch introduces one other tweak: substituting "development
>> community" for "developer community", perhaps helping to address
>> confusion expressed else-thread. It also brings the proposed policy
>> text into alignment with the Release Distribution Policy, which uses
>> "development community" in this context.
>
> As a concrete example of the other side of the coin, I raised a JIRA
> against Tapestry (TAPS-2250)
>
> Their download page [1] says:
>
> "Nightly snapshot binaries are also available in Apache's Nexus Maven
> repository under the subdirectories of
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/apache/tapestry.
> Please be aware that nightly snapshots have not been reviewed and may
> have significant stability problems from time to time."
>
> My view is that this text should not be on the download page.
>
> The response was "The wording on the page does not encourage
> non-developers to download nightly snapshots" so they are not
> proposing to fix the page.
>
> Whilst this is strictly true, I think it goes against the intent of the page.
>
> However I'm not sure how that can be made clearer.
>
> [1] http://tapestry.apache.org/download.html

That page is no more nor less in conformance with the codified policy
than the existing policy.  If it's an issue, it's an issue for the PMC
and then the Board, not for this thread.

Adjudicating every last dispute is not a prerequisite for finishing
policy codification and completing this initiative.

Marvin Humphrey