www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Flavio Junqueira <...@apache.org>
Subject NOTICE file
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2015 13:18:55 GMT
Hi there,

I have a couple of questions about the NOTICE file. In this page:

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html <http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html>

it says that it should include the following text, suitably modified to reflect the product
name and year(s) of distribution of the current and past versions of the product:
Apache [PRODUCT_NAME]
Copyright [yyyy] The Apache Software Foundation
As I understand it, it means that every year, if there is a release, the year part needs to
be modified to add the new year, e.g., 2010-2015 if there is a release in 2015. How much of
a problem is it if a release comes out without that year field updated?

Also, I noticed that Hadoop omits that header altogether and has only:

	This product includes software developed by The Apache Software
	Foundation (http://www.apache.org/).

I suppose they have checked before doing it, so I just wanted to confirm that it is fine that
other projects do the same.

Thanks,
-Flavio