www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing java artifacts from AOO to Maven Repository
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2015 16:18:36 GMT
Hi Carl,

here are my non-authoritative thoughts on this:

Short story: change the build process to generate these artifacts and stage them during a
regular release. When the next release is due, ask for the new artifacts to be included in
the vote.

Long story: Anybody can upload stuff to Maven Central e.g. via the third-party upload venue
provided by Sonatype [1] - you wouldn't even need permission from the OpenOffice guys - but
it is always good to get in contact with the original authors before doing a third-party upload.

So I'd say if you do such a third-party upload as a private person, then that's no official
Apache release - and there need not be a vote. You shouldn't use "org.apache.XXX" as a groupId
then to avoid any confusion.

Releases of Maven artifacts at Apache are, however, not done through Sonatype but rather through
the Apache Nexus (which syncs to Maven Central). Such artifacts must IMHO be reviewed and
voted on just as any other official ASF release artifacts.

If OpenOffice has things to publish to Maven Central, it would be best to enhance the build
and release process such that the respective artifacts are staged to the Apache Nexus and
can be properly published once the release vote is through. People voting on the release should
be asked to perform the usual checks also on these artifacts (e.g. signature check, check
license files are in place, check Maven metadata is correct, etc etc.).

But if you cannot wait for the next release, then you should also be able to build your artifacts
manually, stage them to the Apache Nexus, call for a vote, and publish them.

Cheers,

-- Richard

[1] http://central.sonatype.org/pages/choosing-your-coordinates.html

On 26.09.2015, at 17:29, Carl Marcum <cmarcum@apache.org> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am a commiter on the Apache OpenOffice project.  I'm looking for guidance on publishing
certain java artifacts extracted from an official release of OpenOffice to the Maven repository
for use in other Java projects as dependencies.
> This allows other programs to work with OpenOffice though API's.
>
> I have approval from the AOO project to move forward but I'm not sure if this needs to
be considered as a separate release or not.

> The files in question are:  juh.jar, jurt.jar, ridl.jar, unoil.jar, officebean.jar
>
> These files are included in the current binary distribution of Apache OpenOffice version
4.1.1 and unpacked during installation.

> Additionally the Maven repository requires the inclusion of source jars and javadoc jars
and a pom.xml file included in the Maven bundles.

> There are source zip files for most of these generated during the build process that
are not included in the binary release that would need converted into jar format manually.
 They are juh_src.zip, jurt_src.zip, ridl_src.zip, officebean_src.zip.
> The javadoc jars would also need generated from the zip file contents.
>
> Only unoil.jar has no java source files as it is generated from IDL files and not java
source files.

> The files then need PGP signed before uploaded to the repository.
>
> Does this additional process require a separate approval/release process within the project
since the main jar artifacts used were included in a approved release?