www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Ryan Blue <b...@cloudera.com>
Subject LEGAL-224: Are Doxygen config files GPL?
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2015 18:43:34 GMT
Hi everyone,

I opened an issue, LEGAL-224 [1], but I wanted to raise the question
here also. Avro currently contains Doxygen config files, like many other
projects. Those are generated by Doxygen and then updated for the
project. The problem, however, is that they are based on a GPL source
file [2].

Doxygen states that "Documents produced by Doxygen are derivative works
derived from the input used in their production; they are not affected
by this license". But, the input file used to derive the output in this
case is a GPL-licensed file in Doxygen itself, not a source file from
the project.

Can we ship a source release with these files? Should we recreate the
files from scratch?

I don't think it is the intent of the Doxygen license for this file to
be GPL, but it appears to me that it is anyway. Should we ask for the
license to be updated with an exclusion for the configuration files?

rb

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-224
[2]: https://github.com/doxygen/doxygen/blob/master/src/config.xml

--