www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Richard Eckart de Castilho <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Headers for generated JavaScript files
Date Sun, 06 Sep 2015 09:05:26 GMT
Hi Alex,

On 06.09.2015, at 07:09, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

> Apache Flex has a cross-compiler (aka transpiler).  It takes ActionScript
> as an input source language and cross-compiles it into JavaScript.  If you
> are familiar with TypeScript and its compiler, it is pretty similar.  The
> binary package for the compiler contains some of these cross-compiled .js
> files as output.  We are pondering whether we should add ASF headers to
> these files or some header like: “Generated by Apache Flex Cross-Compiler”
> or leave it as is.
>
> IMO, it isn’t source.  Yes, folks can modify it and should be able to do
> so under AL.  Thoughts, opinions, precedence?

IMHO the output of the transpiler should be under the same license as the
input, not under the AL. So if you can preserve a license header (or basically
any comments from the input file) during the transformation, I guess that
would be the best option. Of course adding a "This is code generated from
file X by Y version Z on DATE" would be useful. It could also be useful
to allow users to turn the addition of such a header off or to allow
them customizing it.

Cheers,

-- Richard