Ross and Jim have shed a number clues to correct my miss-understanding of the licensing provenance of non-release artifacts here at the ASF, and I'd like to codify my understanding in the fewest words possible.

1. Apache Software Foundation Releases are licensed and distributed under the Apache License 2.0, along with other compatible licenses as applicable to any non-Apache-licensed components included in that release.

2. What is published to its websites (and external entities such as YouTube) are all Copyright the Apache Software Foundation, and is generally(?) licensed under the Apache License 2.0.

3. The Apache Software Foundation Subversion and GIT repositories, patches attached to the ASF bug trackers, and all other non-release artifacts such as snapshots and nightly builds are neither Copyright nor Licensed by the ASF, but are Copyright and Licensed by the individual committers and contributors who submit their proposed code, edits and patches to the ASF.

In short, only the work product, what is formally "published" to the web sites, youtube, and in release packages is subject to an ASF grant of AL content.  Everything else, submitted under the terms of ICLA/CCLA agreements, direct assignments and pursuant to section 5. of the AL are all AL 2.0 copyright licenses granted by individual submittors.

Is my understanding correct?  If not, where are the remaining disconnects?

Bill