www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: L & N Advice Clarification
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 22:53:43 GMT
On 4 August 2015 at 01:25, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would apply the same rule-of-thumb. Does the non-ASF source package
> contain a NOTICE file? If so, then you should be following the requirements
> of the AL v2 license and including the relevant portions of their NOTICE
> file. If the source package does not contain a NOTICE, then you don't need
> to do anything.

I agree, provided that the non-ASF source package is licensed under AL2.

> You could add something to the NOTICE, but there's no requirement (legal or
> ASF policy) that you do so. The general guidance for NOTICE file content
> is/has been -- don't do what you aren't required to do.

Agreed - only add stuff to NOTICE if it is required.
In particular, if only part of the package is being included, make
sure that only the relevant bits of the NOTICE file are copied across.

> If you've had communications with the project that created the source
> package and they would like attribution, then I would follow their wishes
> (and instruct them how creating a NOTICE file would insure that their wishes
> are followed in the future).

However, adding items to the NOTICE file places an additional burden
on the downstream consumer.
So is best avoided unless absolutely necessary.

> kevan
>

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2015 at 3:44 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sebb, Kevan,
>>
>> About a year ago Flex was asking about bundling an Apache-licensed Font
>> into a binary package and we received the following advice:
>>
>> "It is useful to mention all 3rd party inclusions in the LICENSE file,
>> including ones under AL2.0:ā€ [1]

This makes it easier for consumers to determine what licenses are used
by 3rd party code.

Since the ASF has to determine the license in order to know if it is
compatible with AL2.0, it is sensible to record this information in
the LICENSE file.
If a 3rd party component is not mentioned in the LICENSE file, then
each consumer has to determine the license for themselves, needlessly
repeating work which has already been done.