www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Finishing release policy codification
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2015 10:36:30 GMT
On 22 August 2015 at 04:53, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> During May-June of last year on this list, we achieved reasonable consensus on
> the text of a proposal to codify Apache release policy.
>
>     https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease (proposed policy document)
>     http://s.apache.org/aGm (discussion)
>     http://markmail.org/message/3ph5m2ae7s7wg4e4 (discussion, alt archive)
>
> It is time to finish the job.
>
>     https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/tree/draft2 (tag: draft2)
>     c3fe5207425467b403de196a8142947d8cad3528
>
> As before, please note: the purpose of this initiative is only to codify
> existing release policy, NOT TO CHANGE IT.
>
> Specifically, I propose:
>
> 1. V.P. of Legal Affairs shall assume responsibility for curation of
>    Apache Release Policy.
> 2. Publish <https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/blob/draft2/release.md>
>    at <http://apache.org/legal/release>.
> 3. Replace the current Release Policy page at <http://apache.org/dev/release>
>    with a redirect to <http://apache.org/legal/release>.
>
> The discussion here last year adjourned with a plan to present the proposal to
> infrastructure-dev@apache for additional review by interested parties within
> the Infrastructure team.  That review yielded one new commit adding three
> words: "and its dependencies."

The phrase is now:
"... MUST only add binary/bytecode files that are the result of compiling
that version of the source code release and its dependencies."

This could mean either that the RM compiled the dependency from source,
or they included a pre-compiled version of the dependency.
Are both meanings intentional?

>     https://github.com/rectang/asfrelease/commit/421dbd5
>     http://s.apache.org/Az2 (discussion/rationale)
>
> Additionally, I have propagated two non-controversial updates from the current
> release policy page to the "Release FAQ" section of the proposed new page, so
> that the "Release FAQ" is once again a verbatim reproduction of our current
> release policy.
>
> Finally, I have made one inconsequential edit to the policy text: "Release
> Distribution Policy" has been removed from the "TODO" section.  Happily, that
> task was completed earlier this year -- we now have an official Release
> Distribution Policy curated by VP Infra:
>
>     http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution
>
> Establishing the Release Distribution Policy was a crucial prerequisite to
> completing this initiative -- between the two new policy documents, everything
> in the the current release policy page will now be covered, allowing that
> content to be demoted to an FAQ without leaving gaps in official policy.
>
> Per understanding reached on this list and others, Jim Jagielski, as V.P. of
> Legal Affairs, holds authority over whether to adopt this document and will
> have final say over its content.  Thanks to Jim for considering this proposal.
>
> Thanks as well to everyone who participated in the earlier review.  Review of
> the modifications enumerated above would of course be welcome.

The title does not agree with the references elsewhere, so I already made the
following change to the existing doc:

s/Title: Releases Policy/Title: Releases Policy/

The policy appears to disallow *any* mention of snapshot builds on the website.
However historically this has been done on website pages which are
solely directed at the development community. Clearly there should be no links
from the standard download page(s), but there could be links from pages
which are directed at developers (which should clearly document the
caveats that apply).
Or can download pages mention snapshots if the caveats are documented?

I assume snapshots can be mentioned in bug trackers?