www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Reto Gmür <r...@apache.org>
Subject Re: on consensus, and serenity
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:31:18 GMT
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > ...I'm curious how we can work ourselves out of this nagging cycle of
> > Larry encouraging us to be more liberal in our licenses because we
> > legally can and us responding with we don't want to even if we could
> > legally get away with it?...
>
> If the same question is asked over and over it becomes a Frequently
> Asked Question (obviously).
>
> The way we usually handle these is to document the question with its
> answer at a permanent URL, so that if people ask again we can point
> them to it.
>
> In this case I guess http://apache.org/legal/resolved.html might be a
> good place for this FAQ.

To allow "challenging the status quo, questioning policies, etc " and to
support having a debate a typical FAQ page isn't so helpful. As an interest
member I would like policy questions to be linked with to the respective
decision and discussion so that minority positions are also visible. As an
interested member I want to know if something is an unquestioned
interpretation of a principle in the bylaws, or a controversial
interpretation of an itself controversial policy adopted by a thin majority.

Cheers,
Reto