www-legal-discuss mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Creative Commons BY 4.0 license compatible?
Date Sat, 01 Aug 2015 02:25:39 GMT
The summary I've drawn thus far from far too many emails is:

* Elements of a "Larger Work" under an Open Source license do not affect
the licensing of other elements within that Larger Work; with some
exceptions (Larry noting GPLv2 in a static linking 'doctrine').
* This is not true for Open Source licences within a Derivative Work (US
Copyright term).

[Note: Larger Work needs defining. Is it the same as Collective
Work/Compilation (US Copyright terms)?]

Personally I think everyone involved already knew this and have spent a
month and more arguing past each other.

Continuing further:

* I contend Apache primarily releases works/Derivative Works and not Larger
Works (though that will depend on whether the definition of Larger Work is
not Collective/Compilation).
* As such our policy is primarily focused on ensuring that the license
conditions applying to our works (be they Derivatives or 'original'), are
equal to the license conditions found in the Apache License 2.0.
* We break our policy into three sections:

#1 Inclusion of works under a license whose conditions are a subset of the
conditions found in Apache License 2.0 - Category A.
#2 Non-inclusion of works under a license whose conditions are NOT a subset
of the conditions found in Apache License 2.0 - Category X.
#3 Inclusion of works under a license whose conditions are NOT a subset of
the conditions found in Apache License 2.0, BUT within a specific form of
use ARE a subset of the conditions found in Apache License 2.0 - Category B.

We are conservative with the forms of uses we have approved for #3. The
forms of uses approved could be changed, and our approach is to wait on the
reasons to justify changing them.

----

None of this is rocket science. Is Binary use of MPL conservative? Yes.
Could it change? Yes. Is there any reason to change? Limited evidence. Does
changing MPL mean we should change CDDL? Probably. Does it mean we should
change on EPL? Maybe, the licenses share a lot in spirit. How about NPL,
IPL and CPL? Probably not, let's encourage those licenses to go away. Does
it mean we should change on CC-BY-SA or LGPL? No, they're significantly
different to MPL.

Hen